Birthday Cards

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Felted Bunny Candle mat

While this is a candle mat, I do use this on my table to protect it. This project is quick and easy as in the other mats that I have made using wool felt which doesn't ravel. The pattern was cut from my Cricut cartridges and sized on the Gypsy and then traced onto the back of the felt and cut out with scissors. Felt is more difficult to cut on the Cricut without the paper backing and then it leaves too much lint which then can clog up your blade.
It was then needle felted by hand and machine but I still chose to stitch around the design just to add interest to the design using a embroidery thread.

After that part was finished, I fused the white layer to the backing and then using a variegated thread and a blanket stitch to add interest. I then trimmed the tan layer 1/4" away.
The tail was just a small amount of roving and then stitched and a glue based stone added for the eyes.
Marking the center, I did stitch using the same variegated thread and 1/2" away just to add more interest.

*When creating you have to remember that it is your project and you can interpret it your own way but if time is a problem the stitching is not necessary to stitch as the fabric does not ravel.

No comments:

Post a Comment